Thinking up recipes that a 4.5 year old child will enjoy making and eating is tougher than I anticipated. Half the things I suggest, my son vetoes because “he doesn’t feel like making it.”
I woke up this morning and said “hey, let’s make mini pizzas and you can knead the dough.” He looked at me like I had asked him to give up his favorite toy! So I had to change strategy and then asked if he wanted to make ‘pizza muffins’. He jumped up in joy and I gave myself a little pat on the back. Mission accomplished. We got together the ingredients, negotiated on which veggies were ok, settled for putting more vegetables in trade for lots more cheese, and baked these cute muffins that don’t look very good, but were so delicious that half were over before I could say ‘cheese!’
You can use ketchup or a ready brand of pizza sauce in this recipe since we need only a little. However if you’d like to make your own pizza sauce, here’s my simple and quick recipe.
Easy Pizza Sauce
VEGETABLES & HERBS
Use any vegetables and herbs of your choice. Some that go well are
Fresh Herbs: Basil or Parsley Dried Herbs: Oregano, Chili Flakes
- 1 cup Whole-Wheat Flour
- ½ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil or Butter
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Pizza sauce
- ½ cup Cheese
- ½ tsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Mixed veggies (chopped)
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degree C.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda, mixed herbs, salt.
- Mix half of the grated cheese. Mix everything well till combined.
- Fill muffin tins halfway with batter.
- Add a small spoon of the pizza sauce on top of the batter in each mould, and top up with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree C for 15-17 minutes.
- I highly recommend using Mozarella cheese. I didn’t have any on hand today because of the lockdown so I used Amul processed cheese which tastes good but doesn’t melt as well.
- For measurement conversions to grams and ml, refer the conversion guide here – Measurements Conversion Guide