This Hot Apple Toddy will give you company of cold winter evenings and is just the drink you need if you’re looking for an alternative to hot chocolate or mulled wine!
With the temperature dropping, and everybody trotting out their favourite hot chocolate recipes (link), all I crave for is a delicious cup of hot toddy to help me through the biting cold. Whiskey, honey, lemon and cinnamon – this classic winter drink is like a hug in a mug and so soothing for the throat and also a great alternative to the usual mulled wine.
The origin of toddy can be traced back to the eighteenth century when it was discovered as a reliever for symptoms of cold and flu, and often drunk before retiring for the day. While tradition calls for using whiskey (or bourbon!) to make the drink, I decided to try out a non-liquor version of it that was safe even for young ones to consume and absolutely loved how it turned out!
I like everything about this recipe. It is –
- easy-to make
- can be made with or without liquor
- perfect to serve all through the winter months!
While I have used packaged apple juice in the recipe, fresh juice can be used in a pinch. Similarly, spices can be skipped or replaced based on your preference although I highly recommend adding the cinnamon. The tiniest dash of black pepper and nutmeg would work well too. For a quick video of this recipe, check out this reel on – loveandflourbypooja
Since apple juice is used here to replace the liquor, a splash of whiskey or rum really lifts up the drink without making it too strong. Feel free to also use your favourite liqueurs like Grand Marnier or Triple Sec. However, you can keep it completely liquor-free as well by not adding any of these.
Candied or fresh orange slices, diced apples, cinnamon sticks, star anise, all make for simple but effective garnishes for serving the hot apple toddy. Looking for more Christmas recipes? Here are a few others you can try:
Hot Apple Toddy
- 300 ml Apple Juice
- 2-3 Star Anise
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1-2 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Whiskey/Rum (optional)
- Add the apple juice, star anise, cloves and cinnamon to a pan. Let it simmer on a low flame for 10 -12 mins till the spices give off an aroma.
- Add the honey and lemon juice, stir well and remove off the flame.
- Add 15-30 ml of whiskey to each serving cup. Strain the apple toddy while still warm into the glasses.
- Garnish with orange slices, cinnamon stick and star anise. Drink hot and feel warm and fuzzy.
- For measurement conversions to grams and ml, refer the conversion guide here – Measurements Conversion Guide