Loaded with blueberries and the fresh tangy flavor of lemon, this eggless lemon blueberry cake is literally sunshine on your platter.
If you are a cake lover like me, you’ll agree that there’s a cake for every mood. A warm, comforting chocolate cake for cold winter nights, an apple upside-down cake for lazy fall evenings, and this bright and beautiful lemon blueberry for summertime soirees!
With its tangy and juicy notes, and colorful hues, its literally sunshine on a platter and bursting with flavor. It’s as adaptable to occasion as its easy to make. Make it into a loaf to have it as a tea-time snack or into a gorgeous birthday cake with a super yum cream cheese frosting that I’ve shared the recipe for.
So what makes this cake so good?
This cake has a soft, tender crumb and fresh lemon flavor that comes from using lemon in various ways – while the lemon juice and its zest is incorporated into the batter, the outer peel is used as a candied garnish. This gives the cake a super tangy and citrusy burst of flavor. You could skip the lemon peel but don’t skip the zest or juice in the batter.
While squeezing lemons, do ensure you don’t add the seeds and while zesting, it’s important to use only the outer yellow skin and not the white rind which can make the cake bitter.
I would highly recommend using fresh blueberries for this cake. However, if finding fresh blueberries is an issue, you could use frozen fruit as well. Blueberry pulp can be substituted too but it just won’t give the same freshness as the actual fruit does.
In order to keep the berries from sinking to the bottom of the batter while baking, toss the blueberries in a tablespoon of flour before adding them to the batter.
This would ensure that you get some blueberry goodness in each bite.
Cream cheese Frosting
The cream cheese in this recipe serves to add a creamy balance to all the tangy-juicy stuff going on. Hence it can be left out, or adjusted to taste. While the recipe is for a thick frosting, it can be thinned down to make it into a glaze.
With so many ways to make this cake as you like there’s no reason not to try making this cake asap!
So go on, and try it and share your experience with me. You can find me at Instagram here.
Lemon Blueberry Cake
- 1.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ tbsp Vinegar
- ½ cup Any neutral oil
- ¾ cup Castor Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ¾ cup Blueberries
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 100 gms Cream Cheese
- 50 gms Butter
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- 1-2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C and grease an 8 inch pan.
- Make the buttermilk by mixing together milk and vinegar. Stir and keep aside for 10 minutes during which time the milk will curdle/split to form buttermilk.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a large bowl, combine together the oil, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Start adding the flour mix and the buttermilk to the wet mixture alternately while folding everything together.
- Toss the blueberries with a tbsp of flour and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese, alongwith the sugar and butter till light and airy. Add the lemon juice and cream and continue to beat for another minute. Use immediately to frost your cake or store in the refrigerator.